The DayZ Thread

The DayZ Thread

Thread started by Bodycount. on Wednesday, 12:40am May 16th with 2440 replies. Views: 120,429

Bodycount.

3,486 posts

12:40am May 16th 12 and edited 7:22pm Jul 7th 12

Disclaimer: im posting all the info i can find, on DayZ, seeing as it has become quite popular since its release a short time ago, and getting more popular by the day.

First of all, here is the DayZ trailer.

What is DayZ?
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.[/SPOILER]

What is Required to run DayZ?
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]A copy of Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead, or just buy Arma II: Combined Operations[/SPOILER]

How do i install DayZ? (steam version) (copied from another thread)
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]1. Install ARMA II & ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead

2a. Run ARMA II
2b. Run ARMA II : Operation Arrowhead
2c. Right Click ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead in your steam list and run ARMA II Combined Operations

3. download the DayZ mod files from http://www.dayzmod.com/

4a. open the following directory - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead
4b. Create a folder called @Dayz open that folder and create another folder called Addons
4.c extract all files from all the zips into the folder.

5a. download the mod launcher
Quote from NevilleFknBartos on the 10th of May 2012:
www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6649
5b. tick @dayz and hit Start Arma II OA, by rights you should be able to join a DayZ mod server, check filter incase there is another mod in the filter.

copy the contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\Addons

to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\Addons

i repeat COPY IT[/SPOILER]

General info about the game.
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]Realistic "Zombies" with custom animations - These once human creatures will act and behave as if they have a heighten sense of hearing and smell but less sight, on top of that they use motion captured animations such as walking and eating from your unconscious body. If you look into any built up area you'll see them walking around waiting for their next victim which dares to venture in.

New weapons and vehicles! - Ever felt like you needed a Crossbow? Or maybe a less military like weapon? If you have then this is perfect for you as we have both of these created to high quality standards all ready for your use in this wasteland. On top of that you can even pick up the bolts fired from the Crossbow to reuse! Not only that we also have created custom vehicles which can be repaired and ridden around to show the world what you're made of!

Custom Medical System - ArmA II's magic medic feature is a thing of the past with this medical system - If you get shot, expect to bleed and to lose blood until you're bandaged up. Lost too much blood? Then expect to fall over unconscious. If you get shot in the leg then you won't be able to walk until you get morphine so you can man up. Pain is also a factor taken into consideration so without pain killers after taking an injury you'll continue to shake. This is medical at it's best!

Persistent Server - Fed up of spending so many hours working towards a goal or finding supplies and then the server crashes on you losing all your progress? Well with the DayZ server all stat's are saved to our external database so where ever you log off, whatever you have will be keep on you next time you come back in. This means you can spend however long you want doing what you want to do. As long as you don't die during the night!

Tons of new objects - We haven't just added in big things like weapons, we take pride in little details so expect to find things such as water canteens, a number of canned foods, junk and car parts (Along with more!) each of which have their own models, textures and UI imagery, once again all created to that high quality you expect in a full scale modification and we're sure you won't be disappointed with it. Nothing has been rushed.

Hunting and Survival - Eating and drinking is a core part of gameplay, you can tell if you need something by a very subtle GUI which doesn't effect the atmosphere, and if you don't fulfil those needs. You'll die. Wandering animals can killed and gutted (with the right tools) to gain access to their meat which can be eaten so you live longer but also to gain blood. For once these animals actually have a use.

Heavy Optimisation - The DayZ server has been designed to give the best play possible. Custom coding and edits have created a smooth running world which can easily have thousands of zombies spawned at once!

And Much More! - The only way to find out - is to survive!

Requirements:

ArmA II: CO
DayZ Mod Files (Available on the downloads page)
Balls
[/SPOILER]

Tips: Thanks to Freeborne over @ AusArma
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]So anyway, here's a list of tips, mostly my own observations, plus one or two I've picked up elsewhere.

You can sprint (double tap forward) in a crouched position, and will be less visible then if you do a standing sprint.

You still do same speed and can't notice any difference in your height, but you're as visible as if you're just doing a crouched jog. Could be fixed in next update though.

Run on grass and not roads to be less visible and make less noise.

Enter buildings to fight off zombie hordes. The dark brown single storey wooden buildings are good (get behind table), as well as the two storey orange brick houses. The zombies slow to a walk to enter and you can pick them off one by one.

Crossbows are a waste of time. They take up too much inventory and you inevitably lose bolts from zombies that fall into walls, etc so you can't see the bolts. They also require two shots if you miss the head and you waste time retrieving bolts, while teammates get the good loot.

The winchester is currently the best gun in the game, especially with pellets. Single shot kill, 15 rounds per inventory slot, plentiful ammo, and you can kill 2-3 zombies per shot if you get them grouped together (when cramming through doorways).

Military gear is found around hangars, hunter watchtowers, air control towers, barracks. That's where I found my NVG's.

Car parts are in warehouses, concrete sheds, fuel stations, factories. Cars often require 4 tires, but not always.

Cars are VERY rare, but have found one inside Grishino, on a main road between Novy and Guglovo, and also on a remote dirt road around Msta. Always on roads anyway, but otherwise not near particular buildings.

A winchester can easily kill 10-20 zombies with 15 rounds. Practise and don't be afraid to engage zombies on your own terms (instead of sneaking around and then getting ambushed).

Blood packs restore full blood, but another player must administer it.

Animals can be gutted with a knife, and matches can light a fire so you can cook it. Cooked meat restores 800 blood each. Always pack up your fire or you can't make another.

For repairing cars, to avoid any bugs of failed repairs have another player sit in driver seat while you do repairs!!!
Avoid Cherno and Elektro, nothing but lame PvP'ers. Kill anyone with pings over 180ms, and 220ms without hesitation.

Using backpacks is a tricky affair. If you look at gear on ground (such as tin cans), select Gear, then highlight your backpack and click Open. You now have a graphical inventory screen showing how many slots you have left, and can pickup/drop items from the left screen or transfer them to your main slots. You will have troubles transferring gear from backpack to main slots though. To do this, look at empty spot on ground (with no gear around) and then open your backpack. You can now easily transfer gear between backpack and main slots.

Chemlights are crap. Unless you're hiding from snipers, use flares.

Always carry a bandage and morphine. These are essential. Painkillers you can survive without in worst case scenario. Best to keep spares in your backpack as they aren't easily found.

Nothing wrong with revolver, as ammo is plentiful and one shot kills. Use it to pick off zombies walking through doorways and save your main rifle ammo for emergencies or mowing down hordes.

Look for buildings you can enter to find loot. Those with multiple floors usually have the most loot. Fully open buildings, with no doors (factories, refineries, etc) generally have no loot.

Lee Enfields are noisy and slow to fire, but aren't useless. They attract the whole neighbourhood which isn't necessarily bad. If you get into a secure building, fire it to attract 30 zombies. Then you can kill them, and walk around looking for loot in safety. If you use a revolver, you only get 10 zombies, and then as soon as you move past 3 buildings you'll run into zombies again, forcing you to shoot them and run back to safety to kill 5+ zombies again. Two players, one with Lee Enfield and another with Winchester can be quite effective.

Running onto docks offers safety from Z's. They don't walk onto docks![/SPOILER]

TL;DR Version of Tips:
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9443/70172805.jpg[/SPOILER]

Media:
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Full Map]http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/chernarus_big_hq.jpg[/SPOILER]

Videos:
[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-VOnfwOcX4&hd=1

[/SPOILER]

Most info was from DayZ site, AusArma and Facepunch, Install Instructions are from my own personal experience.

Sygma.

1,301 posts

1:07am May 16th 12

Looks really damn fun, might buy it from steam and give it a shot!

Bodycount.

3,486 posts

1:10am May 16th 12

It is fun, been playing it for the past few days, ARMA II CO has gone on steam top sales purley because of this mod. if you do think about playing it though, be prepared to wait a while for a free slot on servers, they are almost always full during the day, and most of the night.

only sure way to get in is click on the server you want and spam enter till a free slot opens.

RexYnator

3,720 posts

4:16am May 16th 12

Been playing all the way up to Diablo 3 release, amazing mod tbh

Crow.

5,499 posts

4:31am May 16th 12

Once you manage to find a vehicle and get it working, it is infinitely more fun

The bandits in the sky

RexYnator

3,720 posts

4:42am May 16th 12

The bandits in the sky

Quote from Crow. on the 16th of May 2012
Getting chased by a bandit Heli @ night with their damned spotlight!

Crow.

5,499 posts

4:48am May 16th 12

The bandits in the sky

Quote from RexYnator on the 16th of May 2012
Getting chased by a bandit Heli @ night with their damned spotlight!

Could have been us you know, I was mowing down people with the M240 on the side

b0bftw

4,529 posts

8:56am May 16th 12

omg im so cool i play this cool dayz mod wow i'm awesome

fk u play arma 2 for real.... I'll reinstall it and take you through your paces apex m8

Crow.

5,499 posts

9:09am May 16th 12

Apex couldn't handle it b0b

0 posts

10:17am May 16th 12

Sounds like fallout. The survival aspects at least.
Might have a look.

motion

8,872 posts

11:28am May 16th 12

best mod i've played in years, could easily be a $89 stand alone release once it's patched a bit more

b0bftw

4,529 posts

11:29am May 16th 12

best mod i've played in years, could easily be a $89 stand alone release once it's patched a bit more

Quote from motion on the 16th of May 2012
really? Wow i might have to play it then. I honestly didn't think it would be THAT amazing.
What makes it stand out?

Crow.

5,499 posts

11:31am May 16th 12

b0b, you'd have Arma 2 CO, just download the mod and try it

Motion, what server do you play on?

b0bftw

4,529 posts

11:32am May 16th 12

I have to reinstall it, will do it when i get home in a few hours. Any lads keen for some night time missions tonight?

Crow.

5,499 posts

11:35am May 16th 12

Quote from b0bftw on the 16th of May 2012
I have to reinstall it, will do it when i get home in a few hours. Any lads keen for some night time missions tonight?

Ive got my AKM, G17 and Hunting rifle ready to kick some ass :>