Upgrading RAM/Graphics card

Thread started by psL on Friday, 5:08am August 28th with 36 replies. Views: 4,289

psL

98 posts

5:08am Aug 28th 15

My brother built my pc back in 2010 and I'd been too lazy to bother upgrading parts until now. Was only intending to upgrade the RAM/gpu but realized I might have to upgrade other parts before those two. I have a Kingston 4GB (2x) 1600mHz set that I originally had in the PC but was told that the 1600 mHz wasn't technically compatible with my pc. Looking for suggestions, preferably a cheap option and a middle price range option.

Case: Thermaltake V5 Black Edition.
Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 2.8 GHz Processor.
RAM: Elixir (1x) 4GB DDR3 1333mHz
Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital Sata / 64Mb Cache.
Video Card: Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5.
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650w.

Kayoss.

234 posts

8:43am Aug 28th 15

I would recommend upgrading your PC. You can keep the Hard Drive and the Case to save some money. I'd say if you upgraded just your Ram and GPU, the CPU would cause a bottleneck.

What is your budget?

For just the parts, including a SSD for your OS and some games, I'd lean towards something like this. You'd have to reuse your case.

www.pccasegear.com/sc/zgR

Sabes

4,436 posts

11:15am Aug 28th 15

CPU - MOBO - RAM - GPU

Upgrade those parts asap.

cpu - mid range i5
gpu - geforce 960 / 970

nfank

459 posts

11:49am Aug 28th 15

what type or ram is the kingston set?

also if you want upgrade advice you need to give budget and performance goals

hawk_

301 posts

5:14pm Aug 28th 15

If you want to be real budget, you can just get more RAM to make it 8GB. The 5870 is on the good end of mid range and you could overclock your CPU to 3.6Ghz or w/e is best depending on the cooler.
That system seems built all around mid range parts, so it all fits well together. If you want any of today's high end parts, you will probably be looking at replacing all the key parts, like everyone else here is saying.

PocketGamer

30 posts

7:16pm Aug 28th 15

^^^^

He already has 8gb ram. It's not compatible. Other people have said to keep case and hard drive. I was going to do that as well. But realised i've then got a bunch of useless parts. I'm sure my old PC will go for at least $250-$300. It doesn't cost that much to buy a new case and HDD, and you get the feeling of having something new to look at also.

Sparkssss

1,515 posts

7:53pm Aug 28th 15

Who told you that Kingston RAM of yours is not compatible? Being 1.6Ghz it must be DDR3 RAM, possibly it requires a too higher voltage in which case you would simply need to lower the voltage and the clockspeed (if necessary) and/or loosen the latency timings, or if the problem is not related to your motherboard and is really just that you have a 32bit OS then another 8GB kit won't help you and you would need to reinstall your OS (which you would have to do if you changed your motherboard anyways).

psL

98 posts

4:25am Aug 30th 15

Sorry I didn't get back to replying yesterday or all of today, was busy with a few things in real life and a photo frame decided to fall off the wall right next to my PC causing it to not boot up, only just got it going.

The Kingston RAM is 5 years old, it was the original RAM I had in the PC, I think the reasoning behind them saying it wasn't compatible is because it's the 1600 not 1333, they suggested I either buy 1333 RAM or the voltage/clockspeed/timing route. The 1600 functioned for the first 2-3 years before I started having problems, and I think I disabled a file to do with daemon tools which fixed it back then, or took it into the shop and had the motherboard replaced. The single 1333 stick I have in it now is 4gb and the 1600 kingston set is 4gb total.

Have been able to play older-recentish games fairly fine with the setup I have in it currently, like CS:GO, CoD4, although Americas Army Proving Grounds last night after a few hours into a gaming session the frames went from a consistent 60-90 to a solid 30 and felt very laggy. Tried the blops 3 beta the other day and couldn't see anything with all the graphics on minimum, bumped them up to medium and the screen went black and couldn't access desktop or anything in game so had to reboot pc.

Was looking at spending around $500 when I thought I would only have to upgrade the RAM/Graphics, and possibly a SSD eventually. Budget is fairly tight after having a bigger than expected weekend in Byron Bay for a mate's 21st a month back and then getting let go from work the following week due to lack of work. Cost me $1054 to build the desktop alone back at the end of 10/start of 11, was hoping to not have to spend that much this time around, but with that PCCaseGear wishlist kind of realized it would be about the same.

psL

98 posts

4:29am Aug 30th 15 and edited 4:41am Aug 30th 15

Although I paid $167 for the Asus M4A89GTD motherboard back in 2011 and when I got my PC fixed at the local PC shop back on 6/11/13 I paid $55 for them to find the problem and the labour and $169 for the same motherboard. Althoughit is the local PC shop... --> http://www.worldwidepc.com.au/Main.asp

I do have a second 5870 in my brother's old PC which he no longer uses that I could chuck in mine if it could handle both and if it would benefit enough in terms of performance.

psL

98 posts

6:34pm Sep 24th 15

Wondering if I could get input on the part list I've come up with. Going to use my old case and psu but will probably upgrade the psu down the track. Not sure whether SSD/GPU are good selections considering there's a wide range.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/tcVPpg

Bodycount.

3,486 posts

6:46pm Sep 24th 15

suprised nobody mentioned the 950, put one in a computer the other day, actually a solid card, it would be a huge upgrade for what OP has now and only $250.

rEXY.

1,365 posts

9:23am Sep 25th 15

Wondering if I could get input on the part list I've come up with. Going to use my old case and psu but will probably upgrade the psu down the track. Not sure whether SSD/GPU are good selections considering there's a wide range.

Quote from psL on the 24th of September 2015

www.mwave.com.au/product/intel-core-i5-4690-quad-core-lga-1150-35ghz-cpu-processor-ab54934

go the 4690, faster single core, cheaper, quiet, will last a lifetime.

rEXY.

1,365 posts

9:27am Sep 25th 15

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHZ Score: 2,170
Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz Score: 2,228

l_w_88

6,678 posts

4:37pm Sep 27th 15

$55 for them to find the problem

Quote from psL on the 30th of August 2015
oh wow you got gypped

suprised nobody mentioned the 950

Quote from GkR on the 24th of September 2015
because the 960 exists now

Quote from psL on the 24th of September 2015
The SSD is good. The gpu is sort of. Anything below 3.5gb video memory is fine, but any game that uses more than that will see serious performance impacts on the 970, because it only uses 3.5, not 4gb of memory. Beware buying one of these in today's gaming market, and instead get a r9 390. It's better at 2460x1440 and 4k resolutions as well.

Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHZ Score: 2,170
Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50GHz Score: 2,228

Quote from rEXY. on the 25th of September 2015
Or he could, instead, go 1151.

nfank

459 posts

4:44pm Sep 27th 15

Do you realize 950 is brand new and 960 came out last Summer?

Unfortunately 950 isnt in a good value spot for price in Australia, for a fraction more you can get 960 doing much greater performance. 950 is much better than 750ti but also costs much more