New Audio-Technica Gaming Head...

New Audio-Technica Gaming Headsets - AG1x and ADG1x

New Audio-Technica Gaming Headsets - AG1x and ADG1x - Page: 2

Thread started by phntem on Friday, 2:52pm December 4th with 29 replies. Views: 4,839

winm8

488 posts

10:05pm Jan 24th 16

Yo these are 100 off now down to $299 at pccasegear.
Thinking about getting a new headset with my first real paycheck. The AG1s were my dream headset mostly because of the aesthetics, was going to grab those but now these now ones are cheaper.

Or there's the HyperX Cloud II which is probably better value for money. Still thinking about it though...

CryptiK.

3,167 posts

10:27pm Jan 24th 16

Yo these are 100 off now down to $299 at pccasegear.
Thinking about getting a new headset with my first real paycheck. The AG1s were my dream headset mostly because of the aesthetics, was going to grab those but now these now ones are cheaper.

Or there's the HyperX Cloud II which is probably better value for money. Still thinking about it though...

Quote from winm8 on the 24th of January 2016
New ones are better than the old, they have a much better driver in them. I I have the closed ear version red and black(AG1x) and they are amazing. Mic is super clear as well.

winm8

488 posts

11:25pm Jan 24th 16

New ones are better than the old, they have a much better driver in them. I I have the closed ear version red and black(AG1x) and they are amazing. Mic is super clear as well.

Quote from CryptiK. on the 24th of January 2016
Have you tried the open ones? Finding it hard to get anecdotal reviews on these because so few people i know have them.
I've got siberia v2 frosts, they're like half-open and suck, but I also have a pair of ad700s which are proper open and are so much better for cs.

I used to have these before my brother took them to america: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM
They're closed with a really nice sound but I didn't like them for cs - worried I might have the same problem with the AG1x.

The closed ones look sick but everyone seems to say open is better for directional audio... really stuck

RSR

161 posts

11:30pm Jan 24th 16

Have you tried the open ones? Finding it hard to get anecdotal reviews on these because so few people i know have them.
I've got siberia v2 frosts, they're like half-open and suck, but I also have a pair of ad700s which are proper open and are so much better for cs.

I used to have these before my brother took them to america: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM
They're closed with a really nice sound but I didn't like them for cs - worried I might have the same problem with the AG1x.

The closed ones look sick but everyone seems to say open is better for directional audio... really stuck

How have you not broken your siberia's???????

CryptiK.

3,167 posts

11:31pm Jan 24th 16

If you want reviews on these headsets. Look at the 900x's same drivers. I have the 900x Open Airs. I got given these AG1x's for LAN and they are great but I honestly prefer Open Air so if you are heavy into FPS gaming and not attending many LANs I'd go for ADG1x's more comfy due to airflow and footsteps and directional sound in games are generally clearer.

I have owned 500, 700 and 900x's all open Air and all amazing, and I also own the AG1x which are also great.

winm8

488 posts

10:39am Jan 25th 16

Quote from RSR on the 24th of January 2016
heh from wear and tear or rage?? hahaha I actually bought them second hand off an old teammate, the mic did break but I RMA'd them and ss sent me two pairs back lol. both still work, but yeah i'm only really using them because I don't have another mic.

If you want reviews on these headsets. Look at the 900x's same drivers. I have the 900x Open Airs. I got given these AG1x's for LAN and they are great but I honestly prefer Open Air so if you are heavy into FPS gaming and not attending many LANs I'd go for ADG1x's more comfy due to airflow and footsteps and directional sound in games are generally clearer.

I have owned 500, 700 and 900x's all open Air and all amazing, and I also own the AG1x which are also great.

thanks heaps for your input, really narrowed it down for me

motion

8,872 posts

10:54am Jan 25th 16

cryptik how do you find the noise cancellation/isolation on the AG1x? I've been using AD900's forever and love them but am now in a noisier environment so seeking something that can block out noise a bit better.

Seems to be the only real options for isolation/cancellation & decent for gaming are the AG1 or the Sennheiser Game Zeros

RSR

161 posts

11:30am Jan 25th 16

[QUOTE=RSR on the 24th of January 2016]

Quote from winm8 on the 25th of January 2016
heh from wear and tear or rage?? hahaha I actually bought them second hand off an old teammate, the mic did break but I RMA'd them and ss sent me two pairs back lol. both still work, but yeah i'm only really using them because I don't have another mic.

Wear and tear man left side of the headset doesnt work and i have to adjust the mic to a certain spot or it won't work

winm8

488 posts

11:36am Jan 25th 16

Yeah actually that happens to the mic on the pair i gave my brother, has to sit like halfway out for the connection to work. I think the wires in the retractable part are shit, pretty sure that's what was faulty in my original set.

Any opinions on the hyperx cloud ii ? Still an option for me atm, buying that and a asus Xonar DG for like $30 seems much more explainable to the gf than the now $300 ag1x...

KZL

2,404 posts

1:55pm Jan 25th 16

the game zero's do somewhat isolate but not very much, the hyperx cloud 2's have better passive noise cancellation because of the fully closed design

motion

8,872 posts

2:16pm Jan 25th 16

True, had looked at those too. Might be the way to go for price alone considering they're just for gaming.

CryptiK.

3,167 posts

5:09pm Jan 25th 16

cryptik how do you find the noise cancellation/isolation on the AG1x? I've been using AD900's forever and love them but am now in a noisier environment so seeking something that can block out noise a bit better.

Seems to be the only real options for isolation/cancellation & decent for gaming are the AG1 or the Sennheiser Game Zeros

Quote from motion on the 25th of January 2016
Depends where you are I guess. For example on LAN practicing against loud Brazilians I didnt really hear much there fairly decent at keeping it isolated to game noise. These are AD900x's in a new shell with a mic so you'll be right at home. But in the end its really going to be the game noise cancelling out the sound more than either of the headphones since they don't use active noise cancellation not that you'd want that for gaming anyway.

winm8

488 posts

5:32pm Jan 26th 16

These are AD900x's in a new shell with a mic so you'll be right at home.

Quote from CryptiK. on the 25th of January 2016
Turns out a mate of mine has the ad900x. Trying them out and their soundstage is perfect for csgo, the positioning is the best i've ever heard. So one last question: how do you think the sound of the ad900x translates into the AG1x? i.e. from open to closed. Specifically does the (I assume) smaller soundstage make the positional audio worse?

Someone else I know has the hyperx cloud ii, tried them out and they're okay. The 7.1 thing is absolute horse shit for csgo, so if I were getting these I would actually buy the original hyperx cloud and buy a xonar dg for around the same price as the cloud ii would cost. Benefit of the original is that there's no usb connection (since no 7.1 inline thing) so you can use a sound card - and with 60 ohms impedance you really need one.

CryptiK.

3,167 posts

5:53pm Jan 26th 16

These are AD900x's in a new shell with a mic so you'll be right at home.

Quote from winm8 on the 26th of January 2016
Turns out a mate of mine has the ad900x. Trying them out and their soundstage is perfect for csgo, the positioning is the best i've ever heard. So one last question: how do you think the sound of the ad900x translates into the AG1x? i.e. from open to closed. Specifically does the (I assume) smaller soundstage make the positional audio worse?

Someone else I know has the hyperx cloud ii, tried them out and they're okay. The 7.1 thing is absolute horse shit for csgo, so if I were getting these I would actually buy the original hyperx cloud and buy a xonar dg for around the same price as the cloud ii would cost. Benefit of the original is that there's no usb connection (since no 7.1 inline thing) so you can use a sound card - and with 60 ohms impedance you really need one.

Quote from CryptiK. on the 25th of January 2016
I prefer Open airs mainly because they are comfy obviously due to airflow. But the sound stage changes are fairly minimal. The positional audio wont be as good, but its not a big enough difference to really care. Foots steps are louder on Opens though but pushing your volume up can kind of fix it. All in all if you need closed they are the best option IMO.

7.1 headphones area gimmick. Hyper X Cloud II's are good from what I heard when you choose not to use the 7.1 part.

RSR

161 posts

6:19pm Jan 26th 16

Yeah actually that happens to the mic on the pair i gave my brother, has to sit like halfway out for the connection to work. I think the wires in the retractable part are shit, pretty sure that's what was faulty in my original set.

Any opinions on the hyperx cloud ii ? Still an option for me atm, buying that and a asus Xonar DG for like $30 seems much more explainable to the gf than the now $300 ag1x...

Quote from winm8 on the 25th of January 2016
After the siberias broke i bought the cloud 2 and the mics gone on that so i'm currently using the shitty siberias for the mic and cloud for the headset

I think it's worth spending the extra bit of money