High CPU Usage....No GPU.

Thread started by burk on Tuesday, 4:35pm December 22nd with 46 replies. Views: 6,553

burk

3,005 posts

4:35pm Dec 22nd 15

Hello I have an issue.

So these are my specs.

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4790K
Corsair Obsidian 750D Case with Window
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB
Samsung 850 Pro EVO Series 120GB SSD
Toshiba 7200RPM 1TB Hard Drive
Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB 1600hz
Corsair Modular 600W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

So my GPU is not contributing at all atm to games or pc at all.

My Graphics Card:
* Is currently on and running within the PC
* The PC recognizes it within the hardware.
* It has up-to date drivers.
* I have tried taking it out. Running without it, disabling the integrated graphics and then inserting it. - Still no go.
* Also tried BIOS, CMOS and still nothing.

I've searched the web about it and the most common is to enable within the Nvidia control panel. Though the most recent control panel does not have an option to switch between the different graphics cards.

It was working yesterday and now it won't budge.
I don't know if it's bottle necking.....though a 4790k should be able to run with a 980 with ease.

Any solutions?

Cresx

497 posts

4:48pm Dec 22nd 15

You've plugged the DVI/ Displayport in the CPU interface? if not reinstall windows? Don't really know what's wrong just some suggestions.

burk

3,005 posts

4:51pm Dec 22nd 15

Narh, the display cord is plugged into the GPU.

Cresx

497 posts

5:06pm Dec 22nd 15

rip

nfank

459 posts

5:07pm Dec 22nd 15

Try uninstall all nvidia and intel display drivers, then install nvidia drivers after

Cresx

497 posts

5:08pm Dec 22nd 15

Maybe try power flushing the system? (switch off your computers turn the PSU switch off while still plugged in and hold the power button for ~1 minute)

burk

3,005 posts

5:12pm Dec 22nd 15

Try uninstall all nvidia and intel display drivers, then install nvidia drivers after

Quote from nfank on the 22nd of December 2015
Nope

Maybe try power flushing the system? (switch off your computers turn the PSU switch off while still plugged in and hold the power button for ~1 minute)

Quote from Cresx on the 22nd of December 2015
Tried that.

Feebz

171 posts

8:44pm Dec 22nd 15

RMA the card.

DakotaWebber

7 posts

9:31pm Dec 22nd 15

use the computer without the gpu and uninstall all gpu drivers, reinstall gpu and drivers ?

DakotaWebber

7 posts

9:32pm Dec 22nd 15

use the computer without the gpu and uninstall all gpu drivers, reinstall gpu and drivers ?

Quote from DakotaWebber on the 22nd of December 2015
by this I mean take it out and get rid of software

senator

420 posts

10:16am Dec 24th 15

What resolution you running in game? could be just a CPU bottleneck.

Dealzz

8,756 posts

11:01am Dec 24th 15

so you get nothing via the gpu at all? tried a different pci-e slot?

Pattoh

866 posts

1:55pm Dec 24th 15

What's telling you the GPU isn't working the way it should? Forgive me if I'm wrong but assuming you are you are basing your results off CSGO, CSGO is CPU bound not a good representation of GPU Power, depending on the settings you use the GPU could be doing almost nothing or a bit.

Download Furmark and do the 1080p pre set benchmark and see what happens, GPU usage should be around 99%, don't be alarmed at the temps doing this the cards can handle around 100 degrees Celsius. Tell us your results or any throttling.

nfank

459 posts

2:06pm Dec 24th 15

What's telling you the GPU isn't working the way it should? Forgive me if I'm wrong but assuming you are you are basing your results off CSGO, CSGO is CPU bound not a good representation of GPU Power, depending on the settings you use the GPU could be doing almost nothing or a bit.

Download Furmark and do the 1080p pre set benchmark and see what happens, GPU usage should be around 99%, don't be alarmed at the temps doing this the cards can handle around 100 degrees Celsius. Tell us your results or any throttling.

Quote from Pattoh on the 24th of December 2015

he is using a 4790k, not many games gain any advantage by using a higher cpu than that
i wouldnt assume hes basing results off csgo either

@Misha im going to say if youve tried the things alraedy suggested, its time to RMA
sounds like a faulty card
which model is your power supply? if it's cx you may also want to replace that

Dealzz

8,756 posts

2:31pm Dec 24th 15

whoa whoa whoa. jogged my memory as bit.

the power to you gfx card. i hope you used 2 different leads and not the 2 adapters on 1 lead? power loss can cause issues