Another new pc thread

Another new pc thread

Another new pc thread

Thread started by biggest_kid on Wednesday, 6:44pm December 30th with 50 replies. Views: 6,017

biggest_kid

139 posts

6:44pm Dec 30th 15 and edited 5:22pm Dec 31st 15

Hey guys my current rig is getting quite old, i think its about 6-7 or possibly even 8 years old. I actually won it in an xfire video contest and some of the parts are quite old. It still actually handles relatively new games, just not on very good graphics settings. For example I can play Ark: Survival Evolved on low settings at about 30-40 fps, but it dips when there is a lot going on on-screen. It can play gta5 on quite low settings, but only just. For this reason I will probably give this one to my brother if i can't sell it to help pay for the new one. Additionally, because motherboards are not made for the chipset anymore, when the mobo died a while ago it was very hard to find a new one to put in the pc. I think that is when you know you need to upgrade haha.

Current specs:
- Intel Core i5-2400 at 3.1 ghz
- 8gb DDR3 RAM
- 750gb HDD
- GTX 560
- Not sure of the mobo model
- Not sure of PSU
- Has liquid cooling and a heap of fans, none of which are working anymore... not sure why. Parts probably died i think.

So I was hoping to keep my budget a bit under $2000 and would be wanting to play the latest games (for example ARK, Toxikk, Reflex, UT4, CSGO, Star Wars Battlefront, etc) on high graphics with hopefully a bit of future proofing so the new one lasts as long as this one did. Don't really do much on a PC other than gaming TBH. I think 7 years out of a pc is great, so I'm sort of aiming for that again. As such I've chosen a budget of $1700 not including monitor and peripherals. Other info that could help is i live in North QLD, where it gets fucking hot at times (well almost always), so im looking into water cooling. Also im not interested in overclocking.
So i've been doing some research and have found some decent pre-built systems, most of them based around the GTX 970. This is the one I am currently looking at and using as a reference - http://www.acecairns.com/#!acc-gaming-5/c11mm.

But some snooping around pointed me towards centrecom.com.au, where I managed to put together a similar, but better package for only about $100 extra (probably 200 extra after you factor in shipping costs, whereas at ace I can pick up locally). I can't link the shopping cart so I'll just list the parts in reference to the above link:

- CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Skylake = $325
- MB: Asus Z170-P D3 Socket LGA1151 ATX - DDR3L = $170
- RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR3-1866 CL10 Black or Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 = $130 or $150 respectively(would need to upgrade mobo to get DDR4 if its even worth it)
- SSD: Kingston V300 240GB 2.5" or Samsung 850 EVO 250GB = $115 or $130 respectively
- PSU: Aerocool Xpredator 700W 80+ Gold or Thermaltake Smart Power 750W - 80+ Bronze = $120 or $130 respectively
- Cooling: Corsair H55 Quiet CPU Cooler = $84
- Case: Corsair Carbide Series Spec-03 Mid Tower Gaming Case = $92
- GFX: Asus GeForce GTX 970 Turbo 4GB or Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Windforce OC 4GB = $450 or $700 respectively

For a grand total of $1626 taking all the cheapest options above and with the gtx970 or $1876 with the cheapest options and the gtx980. This is opposed to the $1700 system from ace, again I would have to factor in shipping costs from centrecom or another online store though.

So my questions to you guys currently are:

1) Is it worth the extra money for the 980 over the 970? Would there be a huge improvement in game performance using the 980 if all other parts were equal? Keeping in mind I would have to go a fair bit over budget to get the 980.

2) Is it worth going DDR4 ram over DDR3, considering the DDR4 also has a higher speed? I would need a different mobo to get DDR4 though.

3) Bronze vs Gold PSUs??? Is gold really worth it? Should I go with a lesser known brand just to get gold at a similar price?

4) Anything you guys would change?

5) Is all this overkill? Or would a much cheaper system like this one suffice for my needs?

Cheers for any help guys.

Dealzz

8,756 posts

6:50pm Dec 30th 15

1- depending on your game requirements, a 980 probably isnt worth the extra dosh.
2- up to you. ddr4 is relativly new, i think the bugs should be ironed out by now.
3- you dont want a shit cheap psu powering your new computer
4- im not a fan of kingston, only because i havent used it

biggest_kid

139 posts

6:55pm Dec 30th 15

Added some updates.

I only went with Kingston because I remember reading somewhere they offer a lifetime warranty on their RAM, I assumed the same for the SSD but im not actually certain.

What about gold vs bronze PSUs from the same manufacturer then?

SuperNova

2,219 posts

6:59pm Dec 30th 15

1 / 5: - Depends on what your requirements for your PC are. If you're just looking at gaming, that will be alright. If you're looking at doing a whole heap of other stuff it would be best to tailor it to your needs.
Same with DDR3 vs DDR4. If you've got the extra cash and want to get the latest and greatest, then go ahead. But if all you're doing is gaming, then you won't notice the increased speed.

I agree with Dealzz - don't skimp on your PSU. The bronze vs gold is just how efficient it is - how much power is lost to heat etc and how clean the power comes out. Bronze would be fine but if you're wanting to save power then go for gold.

Only other thing is an SSD isn't going to be enough storage for everything; you'll need to consider getting another hard drive as well. Similarly, if all you're storing on your SSD is your OS and some games you won't need a 250gb one (i've got a 220gb one and haven't even used 1/4 of it with OS, games and programs.)

Darkey

2,984 posts

7:03pm Dec 30th 15

1. If you're looking to save money wouldn't be going Nvida. Especially when there price for performance isn't that big

2. DDR4 honestly not worth the money gaming doesn't really use the higher bandwidth it provides and the power saving you get from is next to nothing in a home Pc

3.meh so many threads about gold vs bronze , but like dealzz said PSU is legitimately the most important part of your Pc don't cheap out on it

4. Would be changing your GPU to a 390 or 390x for price difference with either the same performance or a very little performance hit.

burk

3,005 posts

7:09pm Dec 30th 15

I would upgrade to the 980 as you are intended to keep the PC for the time you had your old one. By purchasing a 980 now, the PC won't get outdated as fast. 980 are really good for price performance value!

On another note, that Kingston Fury RAM is utter garbage. They get extremely hot and many blue screen problems. I've had to claim warranty twice now on them, it got to a point were I switched to Corsair Vengeance and they are no were near the temperature as the Kingstons and haven't had any problems.

DDR4 is not really worth, check out LinusTechTips think he has some videos explaining DDR3 vs DDR4.

PSU I would suggest either any one of the tier 1 or 2. Tier 3 if you really on a budget.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/
Gold or Bronze as long as they are within the tiers of 1 - 2 it won't matter, as they both will be reliable.

In the end it's up to you what PC you want. The only thing that I would consider is the 980.

The 980 is an overkill GPU though if you want to play the games in the future (3 years time example) it will be able to run them no problem.

SuperNova

2,219 posts

7:15pm Dec 30th 15

The 980 is an overkill GPU though if you want to play the games in the future (3 years time example) it will be able to run them no problem.

Quote from Misha on the 30th of December 2015
Maybe, maybe not. I got a 680 3 years ago (overkill at the time) and within 2 years it was struggling to run games at a decent playable level while still looking alright. Games and technology are moving too fast to be able to say that for sure tbh.

Darkey

2,984 posts

7:18pm Dec 30th 15

980 are really good for price performance value!

Rofl since when is a 980 good bang for buck ?

that Kingston Fury RAM is utter garbage. They get extremely hot and many blue screen problems

Yea like I don't know I have kingston fury in mine and I haven't had a problem neither has 4 of the other Pc's I have built in the last 12 months and they all run Kingston Fury ram

nfank

459 posts

7:24pm Dec 30th 15

Well well,

A few points I can bring to discussion. the amd offerings are outperforming the nvidia side at the same price, but going with nvidia is a perfectly fine option that wouldnt warrant any buyers remorse

the 390x is a hot card, although it is rated to run hot and function perfectly well, i worry about the bedroom temperatures in summer

for a copy of windows you can find them much cheaper online, do you really need to purchase from a store?

bronze rated power supply is fine unless you like to keep your computer running 24/7 - in that case go gold

i dont understand this ddr4 bashing going on btw - its not that expensive anymore and most skylake boards only take ddr4 memory

burk

3,005 posts

7:25pm Dec 30th 15

Rofl since when is a 980 good bang for buck ?

Quote from Darkey on the 30th of December 2015
My bad. 970 is better in that aspect, it's also 30 - 40% cheaper.

If you spend that extra 30 - 40% on the 980 your getting a 20% increase from the 970.

SuperNova

2,219 posts

7:42pm Dec 30th 15

i dont understand this ddr4 bashing going on btw - its not that expensive anymore and most skylake boards only take ddr4 memory

Quote from nfank on the 30th of December 2015

No one is bashing ddr4 - it's the same argument as i5 vs i7. For what some people use their computer for it's not a necessity and they won't notice the difference; so it's offering advice for people that might think ddr4 will suddenly make their computer super fast.

Darkey

2,984 posts

7:42pm Dec 30th 15

My bad. 970 is better in that aspect, it's also 30 - 40% cheaper.

Do you just completely forget there is another company that make GPU's ?

i dont understand this ddr4 bashing going on btw

Quote from nfank on the 30th of December 2015

There is no bashing ? I said gaming in general doesn't use what ddr4 offers compared to it's counterpart.

God damm you Nova screw it keeping my post

Pattoh

866 posts

8:11pm Dec 30th 15

I would upgrade to the 980 as you are intended to keep the PC for the time you had your old one. By purchasing a 980 now, the PC won't get outdated as fast. 980 are really good for price performance value!

DDR4 is not really worth, check out LinusTechTips think he has some videos explaining DDR3 vs DDR4.

if you pay the power bill, long term the 980 is a good card for price performance compared to the R9 390x, look up the benchmarks in power usage, over years of usage that adds up. 980 can be also pushed a ton farther, the R9 390x is end game no headroom for overclocking.

You can take that LinusTechTips DDR4 vs DDR3 video with a grain of salt, they benchmarked games that don't even benefit from having higher memory clocks, those games are more GPU bound.

Here is a benchmark that benefits from higher memory clocks, its not just Arma, tons of other games out there. Might do a CSGO Benchmark soon with memory clock differences.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/dasa09/arma3stratiscpuvsrambar_zps0cf88683.jpg[/IMG]

Memory overclocking or DDR4 is worth it, to the right games, but some games wont see any benefits.

Darkey

2,984 posts

8:36pm Dec 30th 15

if you pay the power bill, long term the 980 is a good card for price performance compared to the R9 390x, look up the benchmarks in power usage, over years of usage that adds up. 980 can be also pushed a ton farther, the R9 390x is end game no headroom for overclocking.

Quote from Pattoh on the 30th of December 2015

Rofl the ol power usage discussion gota be the most pointless argument people put up in defense of a GPU or any hardware for a home Pc. Please why aren't you pointing out the power savings you will make with DDR4 ram ?

Also he mentions he has no interest in Oc so the whole no headroom for the 390x is a bit pointless in this case

As for your ddr4 graph that whole 8fps is earth shattering also you choose a game that is so badly optimized around hardware like c'mon lad have another go

Dealzz

8,756 posts

8:44pm Dec 30th 15

actually if you want a 980, just fuck that and go to the amd 390.

i say this on no research at all.