Alienware x51 case conversion?

Thread started by Riddickk on Wednesday, 11:59pm April 19th with 7 replies. Views: 880

Riddickk

326 posts

11:59pm Apr 19th 17

hello.
just wondering if it is possible to take everything out of an Alienware x51 R2 and put parts into a standard tower?
reason being GFX card upgrade and will be too big for the tiny shit of a case.

Hrnsack

896 posts

12:01am Apr 20th 17

Doubt it. Last i hear was that its a custom motherboard by dell and has an external PSU. Might be an issue with that one ????

hK-

178 posts

12:18am Apr 20th 17

Why didn't you just build a PC in the first place?

Edit: It looks like a laptop inside, lmao.
https://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/203630/5/dell-alienware-x51-r2.jpg

d1dz

259 posts

12:21am Apr 20th 17

angle grinder

Riddickk

326 posts

2:00am Apr 20th 17

Thanks for stating the obvious hk,
it was a gift and I wasn't going to refuse a gift like that, more to the point can I upgrade to any case? Or does it have to be a mini itx or?
Answers with abit of direction pls

VVhatever

755 posts

5:37am Apr 20th 17

Thanks for stating the obvious hk,
it was a gift and I wasn't going to refuse a gift like that, more to the point can I upgrade to any case? Or does it have to be a mini itx or?
Answers with abit of direction pls

Quote from Riddickk on the 20th of April 2017

You could put it in an mITX case if you wanted to (personally I wouldnt)
Just did some research and the screwhole placement is the same so any mITX case will fit it.

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/25_1119/cases/mini-itx-cases all of these cases should have the same screwholes but you will have to play around and do more research for the exact sizing you need for the gpu that you want, I would suggest the Evolv mini because its sexy and can support a full sized gpu.

Also some mid towers do have mITX support it will just be looking at the guide and picking one out with support :)

(EDIT) For IO covers you might have to go around the internet and find one because 90% of cases dont come with them but you might be lucky and find one

ScoTTy-

2,453 posts

11:11am Apr 20th 17

anything is possible if you have skills and time to spare if needs be drill out every poprivet in the alienware case to remove it all if you have too and buy a decent m-itx case. be sure to make sure no metal shavings are left on mb ect as will short shit out.

good luck and have fun..

Riddickk

326 posts

10:51pm Apr 20th 17

Thank you very much!