Updated Build Help Needed

Thread started by MaulerAK on Wednesday, 11:04pm June 10th with 14 replies. Views: 1,718

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:04pm Jun 10th 15

So ive decided to upgrade my rig this year and im not the most computer savy guy so i was hoping for some more educated opinions from you CG bloke's. I never trust myself when it comes to PC building even if what i have is decent and accurate.

What i own so far which will go into my new build.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

CPU: i5-4670 3.4GHz (non K)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB Kit 1600MHz (i will buy another set of this in the coming days to bump my RAM up to 16GB)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD (I will add a 500GB SSD in it after the build is fully completed, for now 250GB is enough for me as im a super super clean freak)

What i am going to buy in the next few days and the reason why im here.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Gold Power Supply (Open to suggestions with this, i hear EVGA is really really reliable)

MOBO: MSI Z97-GUARD-PRO Motherboard (I'm am completely lost with this, i may want to upgrade to an i7 4790 (non k) in the future and i figure this MOBO has everything i need. EDIT: MOBO needs to be blue or colourless as the GPU has a blue light integrated with the WINDFORCE logo which limits my options.

Case: NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case Black (I'm open to suggestions with this but i just went bang for buck i don't care about looks and it fits that wale of a GPU in it.

PCCG CART: http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/M58N

Everything i will buy from PCCASEGEAR if that's any help and i also have no plans to overclock this rig hence the (non k) references.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me.

Sparkssss

1,515 posts

11:17pm Jun 10th 15

I'm a little bit confused as to why you want to upgrade your PC. It seems all the important parts of a PC (in terms of performance) are already in your possession. If whatever PSU you have at the moment is working then it is, well, working, aka doing absolutely all a PSU is supposed to do anyway, and upgrading your motherboard now incase you want to upgrade your CPU later is a little bit illogical. Lastly, if you don't care about the looks of your case (which I totally understand), why do the looks of your graphics card and motherboard have to be matching?

Maybe list your current specs and let us know why you want to upgrade?

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:32pm Jun 10th 15

I'm a little bit confused as to why you want to upgrade your PC. It seems all the important parts of a PC (in terms of performance) are already in your possession. If whatever PSU you have at the moment is working then it is, well, working, aka doing absolutely all a PSU is supposed to do anyway, and upgrading your motherboard now incase you want to upgrade your CPU later is a little bit illogical. Lastly, if you don't care about the looks of your case (which I totally understand), why do the looks of your graphics card and motherboard have to be matching?

Maybe list your current specs and let us know why you want to upgrade?

Quote from Sparkssss on the 10th of June 2015
^I'm after a PSU/MOBO And maybe a case if there is something better as stated above.

I'm currently upgrading from a GTX 650 ti (i purchased the 970 a few days ago) and the PSU,MOBO,Case are well and truly outdated for the GTX 970. Example 1: the PSU is a 500w Thermaltake shitbox and non modular. Example 2: the case wont fit the new 970 GPU ect. When i say im upgrading the CPU i mean within weeks as the i5 is just a temp and from the old build. as for the case i don't care for fancy lights or sick case design but it would shit me to death if internals were bloody multi coloured, i can deal with a standard black finish.

[SPOILER=SPOILER: Click to view]My spelling and punctuation is utter trash.[/SPOILER]

nfank

459 posts

11:36pm Jun 10th 15

970 architecture is really good at energy efficiency, you shouldn't need to upgrade PSU on those grounds alone

It sounds to me like your PC will run well under 500w

also, where are you from? im looking to buy a new mobo + i5

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:39pm Jun 10th 15

970 architecture is really good at energy efficiency, you shouldn't need to upgrade PSU on those grounds alone

Quote from nfank on the 10th of June 2015

Id love the cable management from the modular, this PSU cost me $50 and was only a temp, id rather something more reliable and clean. do you have any ideas on a decent MOBO for this build?

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:41pm Jun 10th 15

also, where are you from? im looking to buy a new mobo + i5

I'm in ballarat atm outside Melbourne. id happily give you the mobo now as its a complete shitta and the i5 id also give you once i upgrade to the i7.

Original MOBO: ASUS H81M-E its a cheapo mate.

nfank

459 posts

11:48pm Jun 10th 15

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&products_id=27537&zenid=54dd0a21966e253d525e0d94c7526c33

perhaps try this? this mobo has a good reputation to work with your parts and a neutral colour scheme

add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/nfank

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:51pm Jun 10th 15

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&products_id=27537&zenid=54dd0a21966e253d525e0d94c7526c33

perhaps try this? this mobo has a good reputation to work with your parts and a neutral colour scheme

Why that particular board? just out of curiosity.

nfank

459 posts

11:52pm Jun 10th 15

brand has good reputation, and popular model which works well with your parts and isn't red like most gaming boards

MaulerAK

19 posts

11:55pm Jun 10th 15

brand has good reputation, and popular model which works well with your parts and isn't red like most gaming boards

I'm a huge fanboy of ASUS products and i almost went with the strix for the GPU why not this board though? MSI Z97-GUARD-PRO im trying to stay around $160-170 for the board.

Those mail costs yo!

nfank

459 posts

12:02am Jun 11th 15

Yeah true. I don't know much about that card but can't see anything wrong with it

VYYBZ~`,

6,247 posts

7:34pm Jun 11th 15

Just gonna jump in here and ask.

Why 970 over 980? Excluding price, obviously.
I'm looking at buying one of the two gigabyte version.

nfank

459 posts

8:18pm Jun 11th 15

Quote from VYYBZ~`, on the 11th of June 2015

imo 970 and 980 ti are much better value points than the 980

MaulerAK

19 posts

9:52pm Jun 11th 15

Quote from VYYBZ~`, on the 11th of June 2015

For roughly $200 more i get a 10FPS increase with the 980, id rather spend that money on the rest of my build.

EDIT: just noticed in the video the 970 OC is actually in most cases better than the standard 980.

Does that answer your question then?

B

1,203 posts

12:54am Jun 12th 15

A 4670 should be fast enough for a single 970. If it were my build, I'd keep the current motherboard. Get a new CPU/motherboard in a few months time when Skylake is out or even wait till Zen.