Upgrading RAM/Graphics card

Upgrading RAM/Graphics card

Upgrading RAM/Graphics card - Page: 3

Thread started by psL on Friday, 5:08am August 28th with 36 replies. Views: 4,296

psL

98 posts

3:51am Oct 3rd 15

Pretty good.

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33174

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33368

Either of those motherboards would be a better choice, simply for the availability of a PCI/PCIE slot that isn't stuck right up against your video card cooler.

There is the small matter of the memory problem with 970's, but if you know about it and you still want one it won't matter as long as you don't plan on playing new games.

Quote from l_w_88 on the 2nd of October 2015

www.pccasegear.com/sc/ibw

Went with the MSI motherboard you suggested because I currently have a Gigabyte one and wanted to test a different brand, and I had heard of that memory issue with 970's and was meant to update the card to a radeon. What do you think of that list?

nfank

459 posts

9:51am Oct 3rd 15

msi's 390 is the best single card in its bracket, also one of the more expensive ones
in case you wanted other options give this a read

www.overclock.net/t/1561704/official-amd-r9-390-390x-owners-club

psL

98 posts

11:20pm Oct 3rd 15

I read through that link nfank, some good information in there, will definitely favourite it for when I get my card.

A friend said that powering the 970 would've been somewhat risky with my old PSU but with the extra draw of the 390 that I shouldn't risk it and suggested the XFX TS Gold Series 650W Power Supply. Is that suitable?

www.pccasegear.com/sc/nv6

nfank

459 posts

10:24am Oct 4th 15

Yes very suitable. That's a great power supply for your build if you don't see modular as a worthwhile investment. What is your old PSU?

psL

98 posts

12:33pm Oct 4th 15

I know of modular PSU's but don't actually know what it does, that PSU was just suggested to me. Currently running a CoolerMaster 650W Extreme Plus

nfank

459 posts

2:54pm Oct 4th 15

Well a module is a component which is attached to form a new structure, modular describes equipment which contains modules

A modular power supply allows you to attach and detach cables how you see fit
People praise this option as it can be better to work with and gives a more aesthetic appearance, but it costs more

Feebz

171 posts

8:41pm Oct 4th 15

I don't really recomend the gtx 970, I am running two at the moment and for most games it gives me less preformance than the gtx690 in my other pc. Only real benefits are less total power usage and less heat in the case.

I had the r9 290 for a while and that was a very decent card, somewhere between the gtx 770 and gtx 780 in terms of performance.