BigRig wants a "mediumish" rig.

BigRig wants a "mediumish" rig.

BigRig wants a "mediumish" rig. - Page: 2

Thread started by BigRig on Wednesday, 6:24pm October 14th with 28 replies. Views: 2,673

Dealzz

8,756 posts

6:05pm Oct 15th 15

for what you will use it for, the difference between an i5 and i7 wont be noticeable.

as for cooling, with no overclocking you only need the standard cooler. unless you want a cool looking aftermarket cooler then go for it.

you can get closed loop water cooler purely for your cpu, they work well for keeping temps down for overclocking, i think they look cool too but thats me.

as for system cooling, if you arent overclocking then dont bother with water, just make sure your cables are tucked away behind the back panel so they dont create and air restrictions and have a constant airflow coming in and going out. you can check airflow guides on youtube.

dont bunch componants up together. if you have a soundcard then dont put it right against the GPU for example. and for hard drives, if you arent using all the bays, spread them out so the air flows over them nicely.

as long as you get a case that makes these things simple to do, then you are laughing

BigRig

1,060 posts

6:06pm Oct 15th 15

If you're wanting it to last for 4 or 5 years and you're expecting to push it, get an i7 and ddr4 to future proof it - but it depends on budget.

Quote from SuperNova on the 15th of October 2015

Would prefer it to last that long. Its a computer i intend to keep up to date and upgrading.

Which i7's are compatible with ddr4? And are they also conpatible with ddr3? If thats the case i might go an i7 with ddr3 and upgrade to ddr4 at a later date

Dealzz

8,756 posts

6:08pm Oct 15th 15

its your motherboard that needs to be ddr3 or ddr4 compatible. they wont do both

SuperNova

2,219 posts

6:08pm Oct 15th 15

If you're wanting it to last for 4 or 5 years and you're expecting to push it, get an i7 and ddr4 to future proof it - but it depends on budget.

Quote from BigRig on the 15th of October 2015

Would prefer it to last that long. Its a computer i intend to keep up to date and upgrading.

Which i7's are compatible with ddr4? And are they also conpatible with ddr3? If thats the case i might go an i7 with ddr3 and upgrade to ddr4 at a later date

Quote from SuperNova on the 15th of October 2015

What l_w_88 posted would be best - you'll just need a socket 1151 CPU. However they are expensive at the moment. You'd need a new motherboard to upgrade to DDR4 at a later date - so you either do it all now or all later.

SuperNova

2,219 posts

6:11pm Oct 15th 15

In saying that - DDR3 would still get you years of use. I've gotten 3 years of hard use* out of my PC, and its still going strong. And that's running ddr3 and an ivy bridge CPU. So you'd still get years of use out of it, but getting the newer technology is going to (logically) be 'up to date' for a bit longer (but doesn't necessarily mean it will give you the same return compared to ddr3 etc given the current difference in price.)

*when i say hard use, i mean compiling code, video rendering etc. I have 16gb of ram and there's rarely a time when i'm using less than 8gb.

Dealzz

8,756 posts

6:12pm Oct 15th 15

i still rock the sandy 2600k, but cant overclock because my motherboard shits itself now lol

BigRig

1,060 posts

6:20pm Oct 15th 15

Aight sweet as. Any recomendations for a mobo?

SuperNova

2,219 posts

6:30pm Oct 15th 15

Really personal preference.

www.mwave.com.au/product/msi-b150-gaming-m3-lga-1151-motherboard-ab67799

I know that things with "Gaming" in their name normally falsely advertise to drag you in - i've got an MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard - love it. No issues with it at all, never struggled with the overclock or even when i had dual 680's and a sound card.

Something like that would then mix well with something like this:

www.mwave.com.au/product/intel-core-i7-6700-quad-core-lga-1151-34-ghz-cpu-processor-ab66391

and:

www.mwave.com.au/product/kingston-hyperx-fury-8gb-2x4gb-2133mhz-ddr4-memory-black-hx421c14fbk28-ab65646

But as I said it's up to personal preference and $$$$.

l_w_88

6,678 posts

7:38pm Oct 15th 15

If you're spending $2k for the purposes of gaming, get a beast graphics card. It will give you better results than spending more on any other part in your rig. Saving a little money but still getting a reliable psu means you can still afford a ssd. If you are interested, you can also drop to a gtx 980 and get a sound card/DAC.

www.pccasegear.com/sc/wVV

[SPOILER=In case the cart didn't share properly here are the bits]http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31404
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27177
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33187
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33193
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21249
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33111
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19692
www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27061[/SPOILER]

SuperNova

2,219 posts

7:39pm Oct 15th 15

get a beast graphics card.

Quote from l_w_88 on the 15th of October 2015

Yes. I wish i had more vram 6 months after i got my card. You might not use all of it now but with games coming out with more textures and what not - it'll get used.

nfank

459 posts

7:48pm Oct 15th 15

Am i wrong in thinking the i7 4790 performs better than an i5?

Quote from BigRig on the 15th of October 2015
may perform better, pay perform equal. completely depends on the task at hand

speculation seems to suggest future games will use the extra cores - some people are waiting for upcoming AMD cpus for their upgrades because of this.. either way if you want to be "futureproof" i suppose i7 will be the way to go, this way all you need to upgrade is graphics card

BigRig

1,060 posts

3:41pm Oct 20th 15

Sorry to bring this thread back up. And i hope it doesnt seem like im completely ignoring all of your posts because you have actually all been fairly helpful.

I have decided to up my price limit to $2.7k, may as well overclock and i now have this build:

www.pccasegear.com/sc/c6g

Now. I'm not too knowledgable with motherboards but i know i need to get one that will properly support overclocking, and im stuck with what one to choose. A variety of people suggested these:

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33047

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=32857

www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1780&products_id=33317

I'm not sure if i'm missing something but reading through them all has me runing up the walls. Any suggestions on this matter would be great.

l_w_88

6,678 posts

7:38pm Oct 20th 15

You're spending money where it doesn't need to be spent.

You won't see a big gain from buying a $300+ motherboard, that's just nonsense.

Why do you even want to overclock? It won't give you a big boost in most games, and little to no boost in most.

Why do you want a $209 case?

Why do you want a $189 power supply?

You might not want it to look like you ignored every piece of advice you were given, but that's exactly what you've done.