Headset advice

Headset advice

Thread started by natuRe on Sunday, 3:50pm November 1st with 13 replies. Views: 1,565

natuRe

2,071 posts

3:50pm Nov 1st 15

Hey guys, my steelseries siberia v2 is coming to an end

Im just looking at what I should pick up next
has anybody used the RAW steelseries headsets?
looking to pick up maybe this
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/gaming-headset/steelseries-siberia-raw-prism-gaming-headset/760600/

or is the Siberia v3 worth forking the money out for
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/gaming-headset/steelseries-siberia-v3-black-gaming-headset/760602/

nfank

459 posts

3:51pm Nov 1st 15

spend similar amount on sennheisers and buy clip on mic

natuRe

2,071 posts

4:05pm Nov 1st 15

nfank, i do have a pair and i have played with them
'
I just prefer to have a gaming headset with an inbuilt mic tho.

winm8

488 posts

4:23pm Nov 1st 15

is there even a middle ground clip on? the zalman one sucks bik dik, and then there's that fancy magnetic boom one which is extraordinarily expensive. Just makes sense to buy a headset now, e.g. the HyperX II: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex28.phtml?id=10&bid=7&sid=247652

l_w_88

6,678 posts

10:20am Nov 9th 15

buy decent headphones and a modmic

ignore ALL "gaming" headsets

it's shorthand for "it has terrible audio but you won't notice because it's what you're used to"

natuRe

2,071 posts

4:25pm Nov 10th 15

buy decent headphones and a modmic

ignore ALL "gaming" headsets

it's shorthand for "it has terrible audio but you won't notice because it's what you're used to"

Quote from l_w_88 on the 9th of November 2015
i understand what u mean
but say i use my sennheiser HD202's and somebody in csgo walks on the left of me , there footstep sound is all over the place , or shoots an awp on the left of me but it sounds like its infront of me , Yes Iv checked if I have the left and right headphones on the right ear, but w

when i put my steelseries headset on , all the sound positioning is on point

this is why im wary.

Dealzz

8,756 posts

5:21pm Nov 10th 15

thats because of the virtual surround sound drivers inside the usb headsets. a proper headset/amp combo and a bit of training your ears to listen and ive found using proper headphones to be alot clearer.

0 posts

5:57pm Nov 10th 15

Buy an actual headset and just get a clip-on mic.

Dealzz

8,756 posts

6:03pm Nov 10th 15

headsets have a mic attached <3

l_w_88

6,678 posts

7:35pm Nov 10th 15

but say i use my sennheiser HD202's and somebody in csgo walks on the left of me

Quote from moSdef on the 10th of November 2015
Firstly, the hd202 has terrible stereo imaging, secondly cs:go has a terrible sound engine that only uses left/right not actual positional sound.

It's a false comparison to say that a bad pair of headphones in a game that doesn't have positional sound don't give a good indication of enemy location and activity, and that therefore your siberias are better than any good headphones.

That understandable suspicion at the quality of something you haven't experienced is assuaged, however, if you compromise and buy something like an audio-technica headset. You get your all in one package, and a decent pair of headphones from a reputed audio manufacturer.

I would still recommend a good set of headphones and a mod-mic, but only because I haven't tried their gaming sets, and can only speak to the quality of their ATH-AD series and ATH-M50x cans.

That said Audio-technica aren't the only headphone manufacturer and you can definitely find something cheaper and yet still applicable just by shopping around.

KhaOt!c

43 posts

2:33am Nov 11th 15

headset under $100 (should do the job if your not after anything fancy and should be better than the siberias) and $200 ( if yore willing to spend a lttle bit extra and have the budget will be better than the both also should last you quite some time and you could add a sound card or dac/amp later on in the future

chkn[s]

640 posts

2:59am Nov 11th 15

Audiotechnica is good.
Steel series V3 pretty reliable

l_w_88

6,678 posts

1:07am Nov 12th 15

headset under $100 (should do the job if your not after anything fancy and should be better than the siberias) and $200 ( if yore willing to spend a lttle bit extra and have the budget will be better than the both also should last you quite some time and you could add a sound card or dac/amp later on in the future

Quote from KhaOt!c on the 11th of November 2015
nigga read the thread before you post

s2d

4,734 posts

1:43am Nov 12th 15

decent set of headphones with modmic/zalman mic is the only way to go, using beyerdynamic dt770pro's + audioengine d1, never had problems with directional sound (apart from csgo sound bugs)