FTTN vs FTTH ping and latency

Thread started by TAN_ on Monday, 3:24pm January 16th with 7 replies. Views: 1,713

TAN_

2,268 posts

3:24pm Jan 16th 17

Hi guys,

Anyone here using FTTN? If so how far are you from exchange and what ping are you getting? Also is your connection stable? I am getting NBN end of the year this year if nothing goes wrong but its a FTTN but they cant tell me if my ping will be like 5-10 ms. Atm i am on VDSL on 30MS. I am 1.1KM away from exchange.

Cheers!

Hrnsack

896 posts

4:25pm Jan 16th 17

I got NBN today. i had ADSL 2+ for a few years. My ping went from 30 to 11-20. Its FTTN NBN and i live about 300m from the Node and a few K's from the exchange. Definatly worth

TAN_

2,268 posts

5:44pm Jan 16th 17

Thanks so much man i am literally about to rip off my hair because of iiNet Support. I have never seen such a support service who cant speak basic english and works under NBN Technical Support. I thought TPG was fucked back in the day hahahah. All i wanted to know was the ping/latency whether it was going to stay as 30ms which is what I got currently with my VDSL or it will still be lower but not like 5ms like FTTH. I did guess it was going to be 11-20 after researching but thanks for clarifying. My area 'starts' planning in July-Dec 2017 and sadly Europe is already on 1gbps. :'(

Hrnsack

896 posts

5:58pm Jan 16th 17

Thanks so much man i am literally about to rip off my hair because of iiNet Support. I have never seen such a support service who cant speak basic english and works under NBN Technical Support. I thought TPG was fucked back in the day hahahah. All i wanted to know was the ping/latency whether it was going to stay as 30ms which is what I got currently with my VDSL or it will still be lower but not like 5ms like FTTH. I did guess it was going to be 11-20 after researching but thanks for clarifying. My area 'starts' planning in July-Dec 2017 and sadly Europe is already on 1gbps. :'(

Quote from TAN_ on the 16th of January 2017
nw bro, when they start planning it means that you wont get it until dec - 2018

Sabes

4,436 posts

6:20pm Jan 16th 17

I had iiNet NBN and it was truely a F**KING NIGHTMARE but thankfully im on bigpond FTTN 50mbit now, even though its expensive at least I always get full speed and low pings nation wide

TAN_

2,268 posts

6:35pm Jan 16th 17

I had iiNet NBN and it was truely a F**KING NIGHTMARE but thankfully im on bigpond FTTN 50mbit now, even though its expensive at least I always get full speed and low pings nation wide :)

Quote from s a b e r on the 16th of January 2017

What ping are you getting on that?

Sabes

4,436 posts

7:42pm Jan 16th 17

10-15 QLD

25-30ish NSW

40ish VIC

50-60ish NZ

Enervate

462 posts

10:12pm Jan 16th 17

Quote from TAN_ on the 16th of January 2017

They cannot tell you what you're ping will become there are literally hundreds of variables. Even if they could give you an educated guess they won't because if they tell you your ping will be 10-20 and after its installed you get 25-35 you'll go back and complain to them because they told you it was going to be 10-20.

I can also almost guarantee the difference between your current 30 ping and 10 ping are extremely negligible as long as you have a stable connection.