- LPL NBA2K18 1 on 1 National Championship Official Ruleset Qualifier
LPL NBA2K18 1 on 1 National Championship Official Ruleset Qualifier
LPL NBA2K18 1 on 1 National Championship Official Ruleset Qualifier
Last Updated: 12/07/2018
The LPL PRO NBA event (the “League”) is brought to you by Lets Play Live Media Limited (“LPL”). The League is comprised of competitive esports gaming tournaments, featuring NBA 2K18 (the “Title Game”), developed by Visual Concepts Entertainment (“Visual Concepts”) and published by 2K Games Inc. (“2K”).
This League is sanctioned by the New Zealand Esports Federation (the “NZESF”) and is subject to the NZESFs rules and regulations.
The League is comprised of certain online and offline Tournaments for the Title Game which take place around New Zealand. Tournaments fall under two (2) tournament categories: Online Qualifiers and Grand Final (each category and their individual events a “Tournament” and together, “Tournaments”). The League consists of these Tournaments which culminate with the Grand Final inviting the top eight (8) placing competitors from each qualifying event.
These Official League Rules (“Official Rules”) govern the League. The Official Rules are in addition to the rules that govern how the Title Game is played (the “Game Play Rules”). The Game Play Rules are set forth in Section 8, entitled “Game Play Rules”.
Each person who participates in a Tournament in the League is referred to as a “Player”. By entering the League and competing at a Tournament, each Player unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions that the “League Admins” (as defined below) make about the League, including without limitation decisions about how to interpret or implement these Official Rules and administer the League, and such decisions shall be final and binding in all respects and not subject to challenge or appeal. Any aspects of the League or incidents that affect the League that are not outlined in these Official Rules may be addressed and resolved by the League Admins at the time of the incident and their decisions on such matters shall be final and binding and not subject to challenge or appeal.
If a Player qualifies for the Grand Final, that Player agrees to be bound by the terms of a separate player agreement which can be viewed here. This agreement contains separate rules relating to broadcast of the Grand Final on television. If you have any questions around any of the terms of that agreement, please contact LPL before registering for the League and accepting these Official Rules.
These Official Rules are subject to change, as determined by LPL in its sole discretion. The most recent version of these Official Rules will be posted on http://letsplay.live (the “League Website”), and LPL may also use other means to communicate with those Players who have registered for the League using the contact information associated with their account or provided during registration. If a change would affect a Player’s place or standing in the League if they were applied retroactively, that change will be applied only prospectively unless LPL determines in its sole discretion that such changes must be applied retroactively for legal or other reasons. Entry into the League does not constitute entry into any other tournament, competition, contest or sweepstakes.
2. CERTAIN DEFINITIONS:
Best-of-X – means a Match has X number of Games, and the Player that wins a majority of the Games is declared the winner.
Once a Player wins the number of Games needed to reach the requisite majority, then that Player will be declared the winner of the Match, and any Games that have not been played at that point will not be played.
For example, in a Best-of Three Match, once a Player wins 2 Games, that Player will immediately be declared the winner of that Match.
Game – a single Title Game competition between two Players.
League Admin – any member of LPL or representative assisting in the organisation of the League.
Match – tournament play between two Players that may involve multiple Games. Usually Consists of multiple “Games”.
Player – an entrant registered and participating in the Tournament.
Tournament – an individual event in the League.
Tournament Organizers – the respective organizer of each Tournament, any entity involved in supplying or fulfilling prizes, and any other entity involved in implementing, producing or managing a Tournament, in whole or in part.
3. LEAGUE FORMAT:
The League is comprised of two online qualifying tournaments hosted by LPL, and one offline Grand Final tournament held in Auckland.
Each open qualifying tournament will determine the top eight (8) Players that will be invited to the Grand Final.
A total of sixteen (16) Players will compete in the Grand Final in Auckland.
All qualifying tournaments will be “single elimination” brackets, meaning that a Player will not be eligible to move forward if they lose one (1) Match in the bracket. All Matches are Best-of-Three, except for the Grand Finals and Semi-Finals (Matches involving Players that are guaranteed at least 4th place) which are Best-of-Five. Qualifying tournaments will be randomly seeded.
The Grand Final tournament will also be a single elimination conference format. The sixteen (16) qualified players will begin a new single elimination tournament. Players will be seeded based on their conference selection and qualifying results.
4. GENERAL ELIGIBILITY AND PLAYER EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS:
Tournaments are open to individuals who are eighteen (18) years of age or older on the date they register for a Tournament. Each Player must be at least 18 years of age at the date he or she first competes in a Tournament.
Players may supply their own controller, provided that use of Player Equipment at a Tournament is solely at the discretion of the Tournament Organizers. Consoles and monitors will be provided by Tournament Organizers. During a Tournament, Players may not bring, use, or wear any headsets, earbuds, microphones or other Player Equipment other than those approved by the Tournament Organizers.
Player Equipment that is suspected by the Tournament Organizers of providing an unfair competitive advantage will not be approved for use.
At their discretion, Tournament Organizers may disallow the use of any individual piece of Player Equipment for reasons related to a Tournament’s security, operational efficiency or effectiveness.
5. HOW TO APPLY TO PLAY IN A TOURNAMENT:
Players can find information regarding each Tournament at http://letsplay.live
All players must register at https://smash.gg/tournament/nba2k18-1-on-1-nz-championship
Players are eligible to compete in one qualifying Tournaments and must enter the correct conference during registration to be eligible to compete in the League.
6. CODE OF CONDUCT:
All Players are expected to exhibit good sportsmanship and maintain respect for one another and for all League or Tournament staff and spectators.
Players must follow all instructions of LPL or the Tournament Organizers.
Players may not text/email or use social media during a Game or Match.
Players are expected to play at their best at all times within the Tournament and to avoid any behavior inconsistent with the principles of good sportsmanship, honesty, or fair play.
Any Player behaving inappropriately, or not competing in compliance with these Official Rules (including the Game Play Rules), as determined by LPL in their sole discretion, may be immediately disqualified from the League or Tournament and forfeit all potential prizes.
Further, LPL reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to ban disqualified Players from any future tournament or event organized by LPL. Additional action may be taken by by the NZESF as the sanctioning body, which may include suspending or banning a Player from future events sanctioned by the NZESF.
Behavior that is considered to be inappropriate and in violation of the Code of Conduct includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Interfering with the operation of the Tournament, the League, or the LPL Website;
- Acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with the intent to disrupt or undermine the legitimate operation of the Tournament or League, or to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person;
- Engaging in collusion (e.g., any agreement between two  or more Players or to predetermine the outcome of a Game or Match);
- Cheating of any sort through any means;
- Intentionally delaying or slowing gameplay or tampering with gameplay in any other known or unknown manner;
- Offensive, vulgar or obscene User Names, avatars, logos, branding or gamertags;
- Sexism, ageism, racism or any other form of prejudice or bigotry;
- Engaging in violence or any activity which is deemed in the judgment of LPL to be immoral, unethical, disgraceful, or contrary to common standards of decency;
- Engaging in any activity that is illegal in the jurisdiction where the affected Player is located;
- Offering any gift or reward to a Player, LPL for assistance designed to provide a competitive advantage to the person offering the gift or reward or designed to impose a competitive disadvantage on any opponent;
- Betting or gambling on your own performance or the results of the League, the Tournament or any phase of the League or Tournament;
- Making any modification to the Title Game that has not been disclosed to and authorized by LPL;
- Intentionally using any in-game bugs or so-called “hacks” to seek an advantage;
- Using any language or wearing any clothing or apparel that is obscene, foul, vulgar, insulting, threatening, abusive, libelous, slanderous, defamatory or otherwise offensive or objectionable, or promotes or incites hatred or discriminatory conduct;
- Using any Tournament facilities, services or equipment provided or made available by LPL or the Tournament Organizers to post, transmit, disseminate or otherwise make available any communications prohibited by this Code of Conduct;
- Taking any action or performing any gesture directed at an opposing Player, official or spectator, or inciting any other individuals to do the same, which is insulting, mocking, disruptive or unsportsmanlike;
- Touching or otherwise interfering with lights, cameras or other studio equipment;
- Engaging in any other type of behavior or conduct deemed inappropriate by LPL or the Tournament Organizers in their sole discretion; or
- Otherwise violating these Official Rules.
Any Player who violates the Code of Conduct may be disqualified, and LPL reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such Player to the fullest extent permitted by law.
GAME PLAY RULES:
These are the “Game Play Rules” governing how the Title Game is played during the Tournament.
- Game Version: PlayStation 4
- Rounds: Best-of-3. Semi-Finals/Finals(Qualifying Only)/Grand Finals will be Best-of-5 Instead
- Quarter Time:
- Phase 1/2/3 – 3 minutes
- Phase 4 – 4 minutes
- Phase 5 – 5 minutes
- Settings & Camera Views: DEFAULT
- Skill Level: SUPERSTAR
- Instant replays & cinema cut scenes: OFF
- Fatigue & Injuries: ON
- Competition style: ANALOG
- Shooting/Free Throw Type: USER TIMING
- Manual or Automatic Substitutions: ON
Any new updates prior to a Tournament will be applied. Players may only select a normal team from the 2017-2018 Season, Special Teams are not allowed under any circumstances.
The following steps outline the process of playing a Match.
1) Players toss a coin for home/away position selection, with the winner choosing their position for game 1. Home
2) Players select their teams.
3) The Players play the first Game of the Match.
4) The Players change teams for their second game, teams may not be used consecutively.
5) The next Game is played.
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 for all subsequent Games until the Match is complete.
In the event of a tie Game, the Game will continue into overtime until a winner is found.
All standard PlayStation® Dualshock4® and SCUF® ImpactTM controllers are permitted. Macro functions (e.g. turbo buttons) and wireless controllers are not permitted. All controllers must always be connected with a wired connection to the console.
Players that use PlayStation® Dualshock4® but do not un-sync their controller after the Match are subject to disqualification and penalties at the discretion of Tournament Organizers.
If a Player either intentionally or accidentally pauses the Game by either pressing the start button or unplugging either Player’s controller, the Player who paused forfeits possession of the ball. If already out of possession, a free throw within the 3 point circle is awarded to the opposition.
All Players must be physically present by the Match start time. Players that are not ready to play within five (5) minutes of the Match start time are subject to match forfeiture.
Tournament Organizers may order a Game or Match restart due to exceptional circumstances, such as if a bug significantly affects a Player’s ability to play or a Game or Match is unable to finish.
Stalling, or excessively delaying the Game or Match, may result in a Game or Match forfeit at the discretion of Tournament Organizers.
Any cheating, as determined by the Tournament Organizers in their sole discretion, will result in an immediate forfeiture and additional penalties depending on the severity of the infraction.
Names, Logos, and Branding Restrictions:
Tournament Organizers reserve the right to reject, in their sole discretion, names, logos, avatars or branding that violate the Code of Conduct, including without limitation, any that:
- infringe upon the rights of any 3rd party rights without explicit written permission
- Resemble or are identical to a brand or trademark
- Resemble or are identical to another identity or person
- Resemble or are identical to the name or persona of League Entities or other Players.
All Players must wear LPL provided team jerseys for all matches. Players may supply and wear their own team jersey at the individual and written approval of LPL.
Other Content Players have the ability to acquire sponsorships. However, sponsors or content falling under the following categories may not be displayed during official Tournament play:
- Brands in categories that have been granted exclusive sponsorship rights for the League or Tournament by LPL or the Tournament Organizers
- Religious programming, political matters
- X-rated material
- Habit-forming drugs, drug related paraphernalia
- Herbal remedies or “miracle cure” products
- Tobacco products
- Any adult-oriented products or services (including adult-oriented pay per view programs and male enhancement products)
- Salacious products or services or other material which would generally be considered obscene or indecent
- Content that a reasonable person would deem objectionable, indecent, vulgar or offensive
- Content which promotes discrimination, hate, violence, the use of illegal substances, illegal activity, mail fraud, pyramid schemes, or investment opportunities or advice not permitted by applicable law
- Content which is unlawful, pornographic, libelous, defamatory, or violates a third party’s privacy or publicity rights
- Content which constitutes hate speech
- Content which discriminates, ridicules, advocates against, harasses, or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability
- Any other activity that contravenes any applicable laws or regulations (including lotteries, illegal gambling products or other illegal wagering activity)
Players who break these Gameplay Rules are subject to penalties by LPL and/or NZESF including (but not limited to) the following:
- Match Restart
- Loss of Game
- Match Forfeiture
- Removal from the League
- Temporary Player Bans
- Permanent Player Bans
Any penalties imposed on a Player may be made available to the public by LPL and the Tournament Organizers in their sole discretion.
The following is only applicable to the Grand Final Tournament.
Travel consists of economy class airfare for the invited Player, if a flight is necessary, and ground transportation to and from the Tournament venue as necessary.
Any additional support individuals affiliated with the Player, whether a coach, manager, or parent / guardian, are responsible for their own transportation costs.
Players must possess all required travel documents, including visas and valid passports, if and as applicable. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades. All airline tickets are subject to the vagaries of flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. LPL reserves the right to structure travel route and select hotels in its sole discretion.
If the closest airport to any Player’s home is in close enough proximity to the city where the Game or Match is being held so that, as LPL may determine in its sole discretion, a flight is unnecessary, invitation will not include air transportation from Players’ residence to the city where the Game or Match is being held, and no other substitution or compensation will be provided in lieu thereof. Changes are not permitted after ticket issue. The round trip air transportation element for any travel prize begins and ends at the point of departure (unless otherwise specified herein).
LPL will provide one (1) hotel room for every Player, with one (1) bed in each room, for the duration of the Grand Final Tournament. Player(s) must comply with all hotel check-in requirements and are responsible for any incidentals or costs incurred to any hotel rooms including room service or damage.
Players will receive a schedule and expected “Call Time” sheet for the duration of the event. Players are required to arrive at the designated location by the listed call times, and are expected to be available at the Tournament venue for the duration of all competitive Tournament days.
Prizes are available only for the National Championships. The prizes will be awarded to the Player as follows:
- 1st Place – $5,000 NZD + “NBA Experience” ($5,000 NZD Value)
- 2nd Place – $3,000 NZD + “Breakers Experience”
- 3rd Place – $1,000 NZD + “Breakers Experience”
- 4th Place – $1,000 NZD+ “Breakers Experience”
Non-cash prizes may not be exchanged for cash.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES:
LPL make no warranties, and hereby disclaim any and all warranties, express or implied, concerning any prize (including, without limitation, the Grand Prize) furnished in connection with the League or Tournament. WITHOUT IN ANY WAY LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING AND WITHOUT ABROGATING THE LPL POLICIES OR THE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR THE TITLE GAME OR OTHER AGREEMENTS THAT APPLY TO THE TITLE GAME, THE LEAGUE ENTITIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH REGARD TO THE TITLE GAME SOFTWARE, EQUIPMENT AND THE OPERATION OF THE LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND THEIR EQUIVALENTS, UNDER THE LAWS OF ANY JURISDICTION
11. IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ – GENERAL RELEASE AND LIMITATION ON LIABILITY:
Each Player knowingly consents to participate in any or all League or Tournament activities under his or her own free will and without duress or undue influence of any third party.
BY ENTERING AND/OR OTHERWISE PARTICIPATING IN THE LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT, EACH PLAYER, ON BEHALF OF HIMSELF OR HERSELF AND HIS OR HER HEIRS, HEREBY RELEASES, DISCHARGES AND HOLDS LPL HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL ACTUAL AND POTENTIAL, KNOWN OR UNKNOWN, SUSPECTED AND UNSUSPECTED CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CAUSES OF ACTION, COSTS, LOSSES, INJURIES, LIABILITIES AND DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION MENTAL AND/OR PHYSICAL INJURIES OR DEATH AND DAMAGES TO OR LOSS OF PERSONAL PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, TO PARTICIPATING IN THE LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT, ATTENDING OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY LEAGUE OR TOURNAMENT-RELATED EVENT OR ACTIVITY AND/OR THE USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE.
LPL are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information or other materials, on, associated with or utilized as part of the LPL Website or the League Website, and LPL assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, or unauthorized access to the LPL Website or the League Website or the field of play in the Title Game. Although LPL attempt to ensure the integrity of the League and Tournament, LPL are not responsible for the actions of Players in connection with the League or Tournament, including a Player’s attempt to circumvent the Official Rules or otherwise interfere with the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the League or Tournament. Without in any way limiting the generality of the foregoing, each Player agrees that LPL shall not be responsible or liable for, and are hereby released from, any and all claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, relating to any of the following:
- incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible registrations or the failure to receive registrations due to any cause, including without limitation human or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with Player, LPL or otherwise, that may prevent or limit a Player’s ability to participate in the League or Tournament or send or receive messages requiring action or response by such Player;
- any computer system, gaming console, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, hacks, unauthorized access, delayed computer transmissions or network connections which may result in alteration of Game play or affect Game results; and
- any problems or technical malfunction of any network or lines, servers or providers, equipment, or software, including any injury or damage to Player Equipment resulting from participation in the Tournament.
Each Player hereby agrees to indemnify and hold LPL, each Tournament Organiser and all the League Entities harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all third party damages, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable outside legal fees and costs (collectively, “Third Party Claims”) relating to or arising out of any breach of any of the warranties, representations, covenants, obligations or agreements of the Player under these Official Rules.
Except for matters for which Player is obligated to indemnify LPL hereunder, LPL will indemnify and hold each Player harmless from and against any Third Party Claims arising from production, distribution and exploitation of the League.
The Player or League Entity seeking indemnification (the “Indemnified Party”) shall promptly notify the League Entity or Player, as the case may be, responsible for indemnification (the “Indemnifying Party”) of the existence of any Third Party Claim giving rise to indemnification under these Official Rules. In the event of a Third Party Claim, the Indemnifying Party shall have a reasonable opportunity to defend the same at its own expense and with its own counsel, provided that the Indemnified Party shall at all times have the right to participate in such defense at its own expense. If, within a reasonable time after receipt of notice of a Third Party Claim the Indemnifying Party fails to undertake the defense, the Indemnified Party shall have the right, but not the obligation, to defend and to compromise or settle (exercising reasonable business judgment) such Third Party Claim for the account and at the risk and expense of the Indemnifying Party. The Indemnified Party shall make available to the Indemnifying Party, at the Indemnifying Party’s expense, such information and assistance as the Indemnifying Party shall reasonably request in connection with the defense of such Third Party Claim. The Indemnifying Party will keep the Indemnified Party informed of the status of the Third Party Claim and will not settle such Third Party Claim without the Indemnified Party’s prior written consent unless the settlement includes a full and complete release of the Indemnified Party and its parent, subsidiary and affiliated entities and each of their respective officers, directors and employees. The indemnification obligations hereunder shall survive the expiration or earlier termination of the League and Tournament.
13. FORCE MAJEURE:
LPL reserves the right to modify, suspend, extend or terminate the League, a Tournament or any part thereof if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the League and/or Tournaments technically impaired or corrupted or that fraud or technical problems, failures, malfunctions or other causes have destroyed, corrupted or undermined the administration, security,fairness, integrity, proper play or feasibility of the League, a Tournament or any portion thereof as contemplated herein. In the event LPL is prevented from continuing with the League or Tournament by any event beyond its control, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic,earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, terrorist threat or activity, war (declared or undeclared) or any federal state or local government law, order, or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within LPL’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event or occurrence), LPL shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend or terminate the League or Tournament.LPL, in their sole discretion, may require the replaying of any Game or Match, or declare any Game or Match or other phases of the League or Tournament null and void by reason of any of the foregoing. In the event LPL determine, in their sole discretion, that any individual Game or Match or another phase of the League or Tournament, has been tampered with or that the validity of any Game, Match or other phases of the League or Tournament has been compromised for any reason, it may eliminate that Game, Match or another phase of the League or Tournament, and may conduct the League or Tournament on the basis of the remaining Game, Match and/or other phases of the League or Tournament.
14. TRANSFER OF PLAYER INFORMATION:
By registering for and/or otherwise participating in the League or Tournament, each Player consents and agrees to the collection, transfer, storage and processing of his or her information to and in New Zealand and/or to other countries outside the country of Player’s country of residence. Such other countries may not have privacy laws and regulations that are similar to those of the country of Player’s residence.
15. INVALIDITY / HEADINGS:
These Official Rules and the other agreements referenced herein constitute the full and complete agreement and understanding between each Player and the League Entities in connection with the League and replace and supersede all prior negotiations, agreements or understandings that may have been entered into between such Player and such League Entity with respect to the subject matter hereof. These Official Rules cannot be modified or amended in any way except by a written instrument signed by LPL. The waiver of any term, condition, or breach of these Official Rules shall not be deemed to be a waiver of that breach or any other term or condition in the future. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision in these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable or illegal, these official Rules shall otherwise remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or illegal provision were not contained herein. Headings and captions are used in these Official Rules solely for convenience and ease of reference, and shall not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of these Official Rules or any provision hereof.