While PAX Australia was in full swing this past weekend, back in the states Activision Blizzard held their annual BlizzCon 2016. There was no groundbreaking announcement but plenty of reveals and big release information about their flagship titles were announced.
Overwatch gets a new character
After plenty of teasers leading up to their announcement at BlizzCon, Blizzard has finally released more information on their newest champion, Sombra.
Activision Blizzard had a clever way of finally introducing Sombra, having her ‘hack’ into the opening ceremony of BlizzCon. Fans cheered as this new, vibrant personality burst onto the screen, capturing the audience’s attention immediately.
If you haven’t caught onto the theme yet, Sombra will now bring a character to Overwatch with some hacking attributes. Below is a full list of her abilities.
- Opportunistic (Passive): Reveal enemies below 50% heath through impentatrable walls.
- Machine Pistol: Fully-automatic machine pistol fires in a short-range spread.
- Hack: Can hack enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
- Thermoptic Camo: Can become invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
- Translocator: Tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
- EMP: Discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
Using the Hack ability on a health pack, or preferably multiple health packs, will recharge them at a rate of three times the normal speed. This will last for only the duration of the hack (60 seconds), which will be denoted by a purple skull. Packs can be hacked again prior to the skull disappearing (the timer must be below 20%, or 12 seconds).
Hacking with sombra has a range of 9-10 meters and a channel time of one second. If Sombra takes damage, she must start the hack all over again. When hacking an enemy, Sombra will be able to see their health and ultimate status for 20-30 seconds. The ability cancel will last for six seconds, and the Hack ability has a 12 second cooldown.
The Translocator ability has a six second cooldown, but the beacon will stay alive for up to 15 seconds before dissapearing. Sombra can instantly return to her beacon’s location while it is active – that includes even in the heat of battle.
Sombra is packing heat with a Machine Pistol, a fully-automatic weapon that fires in a short-range spread. A single clip can hold 60 rounds. While the spread in a ‘spray and pray’ event maxes out quickly, the duration of the spray will remain the same throughout.
Thermoptic Camo Ability
This ability allows Sombra to momentarily go invisible, while also boosting her movement speed throughout the duration. Using any abilities, taking damage, or dispersing damage will immediately cancel the camouflage.
Turrets are also unable to lock onto Sombra while she is using Thermoptic Camo.
EMP (Ultimate) Ability
Sombra’s ultimate uses line of sight instead of a range indicator. After deploying her EMP, any enemy structures (such as barriers, shields, etc.) will be destroyed in a wide radius. All enemies in line of sight will also be ‘Hacked’.